An unforgettable survival skills camp that incorporates ice fishing, ice swimming and a traditional tent sauna.
Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Arctic landscapes as you learn essential survival techniques and experience the thrill of winter activities.
Under the expert guidance of our skilled instructors, you’ll master survival skills crucial for thriving in the winter environment. Learn to build snow shelters, start fires in snowy conditions, navigate through snowy terrain, and identify edible plants and wildlife tracks. These valuable skills give you the confidence and knowledge to venture into the winter wilderness with ease.
As a part of the survival skills camp, you’ll also have the opportunity to try out ice fishing. Venture onto a frozen lake or river, drill a hole in the ice, and drop your line in the hopes of catching arctic fish such as trout or perch. Enjoy the the icy surroundings as you wait for a successful catch.
Try ice swimming to truly invigorate your senses! Taking a plunge into a frozen lake lets you experience the exhilarating contrast between the icy water and crisp winter air. Ice swimming will leave you feeling energized.
After your exciting outdoor adventures we unwind in a traditional tent sauna. Enter the warm, cozy interior of the sauna and let the heat dissipate tension. The glistening snow and majestic forests provide a picturesque backdrop for your relaxation.
Whether you’re a seasoned outdoor enthusiast or a casual adventurer, this winter survival skills camp promises an unforgettable experience in the heart of Lapland.
Schedule and directions:
We start at 10:00 from Eräsoppi / Xwander shop (address Ivalontie 12). Please be at the shop latest at 9:45, so we have time for necessary preparations.
The total duration of the trip is around 6 h. We return to the shop between 16 and 17:00.
We have a pick up service for Inari, Nellim, Saariselkä and Kiilopää areas. Contact us ahead to book a transfer.
- This activity is run every Thursday in November-April
- The trip is executed with a minimum of 2 participants.
If you have any questions about the day or it’s activities you can contact us by email or phone:
+358 10 200 7633
What to Expect
- We’re spending the whole day outside. Weather might be cold, so please wear warm clothes and bring extra clothing also. In case you need, we can lend you a warm winter overall and boots.
- There’s no indoor toilet at the Wilderness Camp, but we do have a traditional Finnish outside toilet
- There’s a campfire and a heated tent at the Wilderness camp, and these may be used for warming up when necessary
- The participants will use sharp objects such as axes, knives and ice drills. We will also work closely with fire. Please be extra careful with these activities. If the participants are physically or mentally restricted, please let us know in advance, so we can assess necessary extra safety measures.
What is the cancellation policy?
- We will charge a cancellation fee of 100% if booking is cancelled 24 hours or less before the event
What do I need to bring?
- Your camera and phone
- Headlamp if you have one
- Drinking water
- Tissues for a runny nose
- Snacks if needed
- Your personal medication
Book With Confidence
- Local family owned business
- Personalized service
- Flexible itineraries
- Small group sizes
- All equipment needed for training of various survival skills
- Hot drinks, small snacks
- Lunch by a campfire, plates, cups, cutlery
- Winter overall, warm boots and mittens, if needed